Mamata pleads with HC not to cancel appointments in Bengal job scam.
In a recent development in the ongoing teachers' recruitment scam case in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has appealed to the Calcutta High Court not to terminate the services of the candidates whose appointments have been cancelled.
The Calcutta High Court has cancelled the appointments of over 4,800 candidates who were allegedly recruited through fraudulent means in the teachers' recruitment process. The court had found these candidates to be undeserving and had ordered their appointments to be cancelled.
However, the Chief Minister has raised concerns about the fate of these candidates, who have families to support and are dependent on their jobs. In a statement released on Tuesday, Mamata Banerjee said, "I appeal to the Calcutta High Court not to terminate the services of these people. They have families to look after and they should not be made to suffer for the wrongdoings of a few."
The recruitment scam had come to light in 2019, when it was discovered that several candidates had paid bribes to secure jobs in the teaching profession. The investigation into the matter had revealed that the recruitment process had been compromised by a nexus of politicians, bureaucrats and middlemen.
The Calcutta High Court had taken suo motu cognizance of the matter and had ordered a thorough investigation into the scam. The court had also cancelled the appointments of the undeserving candidates who had been recruited through fraudulent means.
While the cancellation of the appointments of the fraudulent candidates was a welcome move, the fate of the candidates who were not involved in the scam but had secured jobs through the same recruitment process has been a cause of concern. Mamata Banerjee's appeal to the court to reconsider their decision and to take into account the plight of these candidates is likely to be seen as a positive step towards finding a solution to the issue.
The Chief Minister has also promised to take strict action against those who were involved in the scam and to ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future. "We will not spare anyone who has played a role in this scam. We will take strict action against them and ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future," she said.
The case has been closely watched by the public and is seen as a test of the government's commitment to fighting corruption. The Chief Minister's appeal to the court is likely to be seen as a reflection of her government's pro-people stance and its commitment to providing justice to all.